Making book playlists is fun! I’ve run across songs I forgot about, and songs I’ve never heard but fit a scene perfectly. I’ve discovered that my playlists are more like soundtracks. I’m choosing songs that I think would make great background music for a particular scene, or occasionally, a song or piece of music that gets mentioned or sung in the book.
Since Stacked to Death was published fairly recently, I’ve gone back and created a playlist/soundtrack for it. Here it is, with the corresponding scene.
1. “You Gotta Be” – Des’Ree. “You gotta be bad, you gotta be bold, you gotta be wiser; you gotta be hard, you gotta be tough, you gotta be stronger; you gotta be cool, you gotta be calm, you gotta stay together.” This is Jamie’s anthem at the beginning of the book, when he’s trying to convince himself, his boss, and everyone else that he’s fine after the events of Psyched to Death.
2. “I Wish It Would Rain” – The Temptations. “Sunshine, blue skies, please go away…” When Jamie is walking to Kevin’s apartment after discovering Austin’s body.
3. “Oh Very Young” – Cat Stevens. “And though you want to last forever, you know you never will…and the goodbye makes the journey harder still.” When Jamie and Frank find Austin Sharp’s friends creating a memorial to him in the stacks.
4. “Comfortably Numb” – Pink Floyd. “I can’t explain, you would not understand; This is not how I am; I have become comfortably numb.” When Jamie sees his doctor for sleeping pills.
5. “Devil Inside” – INXS. “Every single one of us the devil inside.” When it becomes clear that a serial killer is on the loose.
6. “Librarian” – My Morning Jacket. “Simple little bookworm, buried underneath is the sexiest librarian; take off those glasses and let your hair down for me.” Kristen Beach’s theme song.
7. “Lean On Me” – Bill Withers. “Lean on me when you’re not strong.” Pete supporting Jamie.
8. “True Colors” – The Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles. “Don’t be afraid to let them show; your true colors are beautiful like a rainbow.” When Justin comes to Jamie to talk about coming out. This is my all-time favorite arrangement of this song, recorded for the It Gets Better project.
9. “Better Days” – Goo Goo Dolls. “And you ask me what I want this year And I try to make this kind and clear Just a chance that maybe we’ll find better days.” Near the end of the book, when Kevin and Jamie are talking about how recent events have changed them.
10. “Work in Progress” – Alan Jackson. “”Just be patient, I’m a work in progress.” The last scene, with Pete and Jamie in bed.